Don’t Ignore the Signs of Gum Disease!
Gum disease in its early stages isn’t always noticeable, especially if you’re not actively looking for the signs. However, it’s important to recognize the symptoms of gum disease to prevent an otherwise minor infection from developing into a painful, severe condition. As a leading Los Angeles periodontist, Dr. Soleymani and the rest of our team have seen exactly what can happen when gum illnesses are allowed to progress. The key is to catch problems early before they develop into the kind of cases that can endanger teeth and cause other serious problems.
What Are the Signs of Gum Disease?
Here’s what to look out for:
- Shifting or loose teeth, which can cause changes to your bite or how dentures, retainers, or night guards fit
- Gums that bleed when brushing, flossing, or eating — even slightly pink bristles on your toothbrush are reason enough to contact a dental professional immediately.
- A receding gum line, which can make your teeth appear longer
- Persistent bad breath, even after brushing
- Pus in between teeth and gums
- Sores, particularly along the gum line
- Swollen and red gums
What Are the Treatments for Gum Disease?
Treatments for gum disease generally depend on the severity of the case.
Scaling and root planing – often referred to as a deep cleaning – is typically the first step. The procedure involves removing the plaque and tartar from teeth, smoothing out their surfaces to make it harder for contaminants to cling to teeth in the future, clean out any exposed pockets where bacteria can fester, and prescribe antimicrobials to help in the healing process.
Oftentimes, this treatment is enough; however, more advanced treatment options and/or supplementary procedures such as laser gum therapy, gum surgery, gum grafting, and even dental implants may also be necessary if teeth need to be extracted.
Get Gum Disease Relief From Dr. Peiman Soleymani
For effective relief from gum disease, schedule an appointment with a doctor widely considered the best periodontist in Los Angeles, Dr. Peiman Soleymani.
Contact our office via the number at the top of your screen or visit our contact page for more info.